Sunday, February 13, 2011

Tony Needs Spell Check

Before there was spell check there were mothers and grandmas. Tony’s forte is not and never has been spelling.  He and Donnie both struggled with penmanship to say the least, but spelling, Tony was the worst hands down.  It was that way from the beginning. In first grade I had one of my first spelling tests.  Grandma was in Kansas City for a visit and being a school teacher she was always eager to tutor her grandchildren.  She asked to see my test and I reluctantly handed it over.  She began to scan down the page. I could tell she was disappointed.  At one point she could no longer contain her displeasure, “Why? Tony, you missed Hen!”  I was nearly in tears and responded, “No, grandma, I only missed nine.”  Grandma enjoyed telling that story for many years afterwards.


And that's the way I heard it on the mountain,
Tony Peoples


If it were not for a keyboard and spell check, I can promise there would not be any “Heard it on the Mountain” from me.  I thank God for spell check and I thank God for my Grandma who assured me after that disastrous spelling test, “Just because you can’t do it now, that doesn’t mean you can never, do it.  Don’t give up.”

No comments:

Post a Comment